[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: Protected Page...

> directories chew up disk space and putting one doc per directory
> defeats whole purpose of directories. instead httpd should be modified to
> allow restirct on per doc basis

Not at all; HTML documents are composed (typically) of several files,
including the text, graphics, CGI scripts, Java classes, what-have-you.
Jumbling these components from multiple documents creates an unmanageable
mess; use directories!  That's what they're there for (besides, they
generally take up less than 1k each, I don't know why you say they chew up
disk space).  None of this is to say that I disagree with the statement
that you should be able to password-protect individual files; added
functionality always finds uses, but HTML is really designed to function
on a directory-as-document basis.

> > > I wonder how I can protect only one particular Web page or material
> > > instead of the whole directory.
> >
> > You should really use one directory for each Web page; that way, your
> > directory structure looks roughly like your page structure, and you can
> > control access to a page with .htaccess since there's only one page in
> > its directory.

                                   w h e r e
                                    w i l l
                                      W E